Tuesday, November 9, 2021

Morning meditation for Tuesday

 


How is your breathing?  Did you find time to practice yesterday noticing your breath?  I love letting my imagination loose considering what I am exhaling out into the world and what I am inhaling into my being.  What I am sharing and shining in the world and what am I feeding and fueling my heart/mind/soul/life with?

 

Today, I want to invite you to continue the prayer practice and posture of breathing.  I want you to continue to hold lightly the question, “What do I want to be today?” as important for grounding and guiding yourself with grace.

 

I encourage you to spend time in silence.

 

Wait…keep reading, please.  I know that silence is not exactly the most exciting suggestion.  I know you would rather I talk about volunteering, saving the world, or even going to the dentist where my hygienist constantly asks me questions I can’t answer because she has sharp tools in my mouth.  Yes, I would take that over silence any day. 

 

But silence is how God gets a word in edgewise and nudges us.  How our soul catches up.

 

John Mark Comer writes, “There are two dimensions of silence – external and internal. External is when we get away from all the people and noise and stimuli and let our body come to quiet. Internal – which is harder to do – is when we calm and center on our mind on God, we come to a kind of mental and emotional rest in God.”

 

Prayerfully ponder when and where and how you can do this.  I invite you to be intentional and thoughtful.  While some people can practice the prayer posture of silence anywhere, I find I can’t be near my phone or computer because of the notification dings that are like Pavlov’s dog response of me reaching immediately to type something.  I find being outside helps, nature is healing to me.  I find around lunch time to be a good moment for a sacred pause.  Finally, you don’t have to do this for hours.  Five minutes is fantastic.  Ten minutes is fabulous.  Two minutes is great!  Jon Acuff says, “Never compare your beginning to someone else’s middle.”  That is, you don’t have to be a monk to practice this.  There is no grade.  Be patient, open, honest with yourself and how you enter this practice.

 

I pray that in the stillness and quiet of you with your breath, you remember God is breathing on you a breath of life, filling your heart with love, and calling you beloved.  May that rest within you and may you rest within the holy this day.  Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment

The Hymnal that Hums in our Soul Part 2

  My life flows on in endless song above earth’s lamentations; I hear the real though far off hymn that hails a new creation. No storm c...