Thursday, June 17, 2021

The Lord's Prayer

 


Our Father, who art in heaven, hallowed be Thy name.  Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven.  Give us this day our daily bread. And forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors.  And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil.  For Thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, forever.  Amen.

 

I also feel like the words, “And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil,” should come with an ominous soundtrack.  Like what we hear in the movie, Jaws.  It can make me feel like I have to be on alert and always aware.  Like out of nowhere some temptation will leap out and say, “I have you now, my pretty.”  Insert nefarious laugh here.  In some ways, that is true.  For example, when I hear the “ding” of an email arriving or text on my phone, it can be so tempting to think, “I gotta respond quickly.  It could be a matter of National Security!!”  Or it could be someone wanting to sell me some new windows.  Temptations can involve food, shopping, cynicism, anger that hurts/harms others.  What connects all of this is that a temptation pulls you from being the “you” made in god’s image.

 

Another way to translate the word, “temptation” is “trial”.  That puts a different spin on the word.  Trials are about those difficult and painful moments during every day.  Trials can when someone challenges me or objects to what I said. Trial can be physical, emotional, intellectual, or spiritual.  What trials are being held in your life right now?  Do you feel like you are the judge, jury, defendant or prosecutor?  There may be many trials going on right now in your life and in each one you are playing one of those roles.

 

Push pause, does changing this word provoke or evoke anything new for you? 

 

Then, there is the word, “evil”, which causes me to picture of Voldemort from Harry Potter.  Some translations of the Lord’s Prayer even have the words, “Evil One”, where the hurt or harm we cause as humans is personified.  There is such brokenness around us that cuts like sharp shards of glass.  I think of racism, homophobia, sexism, and laws being passed right now that deny people rights.  I think of words spoken to score points and continue to profit from broken systems.  I think of people denied houses or jobs and who are not seen as created in God’s image.  I think of people who have hate in their heart. 

 

I know these words have weight to them.  I know these words create worlds where I would rather not confront or feel so challenged by the reality.  I also know that wisdom that “Prayer is a long loving look at the real.”  This means that in prayer I lovingly look at the good, the bad, and the ugly.  In the Lord’s Prayer we affirm and acknowledge that we do not face the temptations/trials or evil alone.  God is with us with a love that will never let us go.

 

Prayer: God help me recognize and realize that in times of trouble, You are present helping me take the next right step and showing me ways to confront the evil in this world You so love.  Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Tending Home

  As we explore Earth Week, honoring that from dust (earth/soil/mud) we are made and that we have a mixture of soil and star dust in our sou...