Wednesday, March 24, 2021

The Melody of Lent

 



Please listen to the choir above and then slowly read the verses ~ or sing the words!

I love to tell the story of unseen things above, Of Jesus' radiant glory, of Jesus' endless love.
I love to tell the story, because I know it's true; it satisfies my longings as nothing else can do.
I love to tell the story; and when I am in glory I'll tell the old, old story of Jesus' endless love.

 

I love to tell the story; more wonderful it seems than all the golden visions of all our golden dreams.

I love to tell the story, I tell it now to you because I want to share it, because I know it's true.

I love to tell the story; and when I am in glory I'll tell the old, old story of Jesus' endless love.

 

I love to tell the story; it’s pleasant to repeat what seems, each time I tell it, more wonderfully sweet.

I love to tell the story, for some have never heard the message of salvation from God's own holy Word. I love to tell the story; and when I am in glory I'll tell the old, old story of Jesus' endless love.

 

I love to tell the story, for those who know it best seem hungering and thirsting to hear it like the rest. And when I sing in glory, I know the new, new song will be the old, old story that I have loved so long.  I love to tell the story; and when I am in glory I'll tell the old, old story of Jesus' endless love.

 

The second verse of this hymn speaks of “golden visions…golden dreams.”  Stories share the deepest part of ourselves with other.  Underneath the words we use when talking and telling someone about our days are our values, our emotions, our politics, our faith, our ancestors, and our dreams.

 

And you thought you were just talking about the weather!

 

Seriously, when you talk about the weather, you could talk about it being, “partly cloudy” or “partly sunny”.  You could listen to the clouds as they sail across the sky or be so busy studying the screen of your phone that miss wisdom the clouds offer.  You could pay attention to what is on your path or be so busy pushing forward that you are the proverbial bull in a glass shop. 

 

Again, you thought you were just talking about the weather!

 

Today, I invite you to pay attention to one story you share with another person.  After a conversation, pause, rewind/remember the story.  Did you emphasize the positive of what was happening or the negative?  Did you allow for mystery/curiosity or were you so certain you had it all figured out?  Did you feel anger causing your shoulders to tense or did you allow for laughter to sit with your seriousness?  Listen to your own story and what is beneath/behind the words you are using to create the world you inhabit.

 

God, help me tell my story in a way that is in concert/connected to Your story.  Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Prayer of St. Francis

  As we are exploring Earth Week, it is holy to return to the prayer of St. Francis.   I encourage you slowly to read these words, especiall...