Monday, March 22, 2021

The Melody of Lent

 


I love to tell the story of unseen things above, Of Jesus' radiant glory, of Jesus' endless love.
I love to tell the story, because I know it's true; it satisfies my longings as nothing else can do.
I love to tell the story; and when I am in glory I'll tell the old, old story of Jesus' endless love.

 

Almost twenty year ago, this hymn was sung at my ordination.  The music and melody are part of the soundtrack to my soul.  Part of my love for this hymn is the words give expression to my deep affection and connection to scripture.  I am endlessly fascinated by the Bible ~ the profound and powerful truths of the stories found there.  Within the tiny words on razor thin pages of the Bible I find my story connecting to a bigger, bolder, more beautiful story.  Genesis 1 teaches and tells me how God crafted/created/ loved all of us into being in God’s image – what can be called original goodness/blessing.  Genesis 2 teaches and tells me about how God sinks God’s fingers into the soil fashioning and forming us of the earth.  We are connected to creation and dirt is a beautiful part of who we are.  Genesis 3 teaches and tells us that we go astray, we hide, and we get separated from the sacred stirring.

 

Wait, you are thinking, is he going to do the whole Bible?  I might need another cup of coffee!

 

When the writer of this hymn, Kathrine Hankey, says that scripture story satisfies my longings as nothing else, I feel like she is preaching to me. 

 

I want to invite you to read these words aloud, slowly.  You may want to read the words like you were speaking to a small infant in your arms, trying to convey one of the deepest truths in the world.  You may even cradle your arms.  OR you may want to go outside and witness to the world this truth.  Or, you could do both.  But please, don’t read these words in a monotone voice with all the enthusiasm of Eeyore.

 

You could also sing the words, seeing where you place/put the emphasis.  Which phrase cause your soul to surge, and which ones leave you puzzled or pondering?  We are on the cusp of telling our greatest story, the story of Holy Week, starts next Sunday, March 28th with a Palm Sunday Parade.  Before we arrive there, let us till and tend the ground of our being to be open to the power of story.  Just in case the word, “story” seems to simplistic or not serious enough when dealing with Scripture, please know that stories is how we make sense of the world. Joan Didion says correctly, “We tell ourselves stories in order to live.”  Imagine a world where there are not stories, I don’t know if I even can!  God loves stories, that is what the Bible is!  The larger stories of Scripture connect to your story and mine when we open ourselves.  The power of Scripture is that in finding our individual self in Scripture – we also find each other.  I can recognize the way the words connect to you and you can do the same for me.  Carl Sessions Stepp says, “Stories are the way to capture the hopes, dreams and visions of a culture. They are true as much as data are true. The truth of the powerful and irresistible story illustrates in a way data can’t begin to capture. It’s the stories that make you understand.”

As you read the hymn, think about how your story, YOUR life reflects the radiant glory of Jesus’ endless love.  How does your life today tell, teach, preach, and proclaim God’s presence making a difference? 

May these words and music become a soundtrack to your soul this day and this week.  Amen!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Morning Meditation

  Creator God, You are a Genius at play.   You continually sink deep Your fingers into our lives and world; You continue to sing to our soul...