Tuesday, February 2, 2021

Leaning in to Luke

 


17 One day Jesus was teaching, and Pharisees and teachers of the law were sitting there. They had come from every village of Galilee and from Judea and Jerusalem. And the power of the Lord was with Jesus to heal the sick. 18 Some men came carrying a paralyzed man on a mat and tried to take him into the house to lay him before Jesus. 19 When they could not find a way to do this because of the crowd, they went up on the roof and lowered him on his mat through the tiles into the middle of the crowd, right in front of Jesus.  20 When Jesus saw their faith, he said, “Friend, your sins are forgiven.”  21 The Pharisees and the teachers of the law began thinking to themselves, “Who is this fellow who speaks blasphemy? Who can forgive sins but God alone?” 22 Jesus knew what they were thinking and asked, “Why are you thinking these things in your hearts? 23 Which is easier: to say, ‘Your sins are forgiven,’ or to say, ‘Get up and walk’? 24 But I want you to know that the Son of Man has authority on earth to forgive sins.” So he said to the paralyzed man, “I tell you, get up, take your mat and go home.” 25 Immediately he stood up in front of them, took what he had been lying on and went home praising God. 26 Everyone was amazed and gave praise to God. They were filled with awe and said, “We have seen remarkable things today.”  Luke 5:17-27


The titles that appear in section breaks in your Bible are not original.  The Gospel writers didn’t have chapter titles.  As a matter of fact, if you have ever seen the Dead Sea Scrolls or writings from the time of Jesus there was no punctuation or vowels or even spaces between the consonant letters.  This sentence would look like this: thssntncwldlklkths.  Sort of makes my head hurt honestly. 

Since the titles of section breaks were added later, we have a permission slip to let our own imaginations loose with our thoughts on what a particular passage of the Bible might be titled.  If I had been asked, I might give the section of Scripture above this title:

I get by with a little help from my friends (you are going to be singing that all day long).

Or

Hold up your corner.

Both titles are important.  The first emphasizes that all of us stand on the shoulders of others.  There is no self-made man or woman.  You are who you are because of your family and friends – past and present.  You exist because workers grow food that you buy at the store or restaurant take out.  You drive on roads someone else plotted and planned and paved.  You live in a house, or at least I do, that I did not build.  I was taught by teachers who shaped and formed ideas.  I know what it is like to be on the mat, because others have carried me.  I know I am still carried by the love of family and our church.

And there are moments I try to carry others too.  I do this with my kids.  I do this when someone in our church is grieving or hurting.  I try to hold up my corner in these morning meditations and by supporting causes I believe in.  I seek to hold up my corner in sharing/shining my light where I can.

Healing happens in moments where we support each other, care for each other, and are willing to be supported by others.  Healing is dynamic.  There is a difference between healing and cure.  I can still struggle physically or emotionally, yet at the same time feel like the weigh of the wound is not as heavy because of those around me. 

Where are you helping and who is helping you?

Let the question above sing to you, soak into you, and let your life respond and react to this question today.  Lean into Luke and sense the way Luke’s wisdom is seeking to be lived out in you.

And may God’s grace, peace, and love be with you now more than ever.  Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment

A Blessings for May

  Happy May Day everyone!!  As we enter a new month, it can be a bit like a blank canvas. I wonder what prayers are stirring and swirling wi...