Thursday, December 10, 2020

Advent Week Two: Peace

 


I invite you to light two candles: one for hope and one for peace as you read today’s meditation.

 All went to their own towns to be registered. Joseph also went from the town of Nazareth in Galilee to Judea, to the city of David called Bethlehem, because he was descended from the house and family of David.  Luke 2:3-4

Joseph only gets an honorable mention in Luke’s gospel.  He first shows up in Luke 1:27. Well, not physically, just named as the betrothed of Mary.  The story that is really about Mary being called to be the God-bearer.  

The above is the second time his name is dropped.  And a third time in 2:16 (which we will hear later) where he is at the manger with Mary and Jesus.  And…that is really it.  He is there when Jesus is circumcised and when Jesus stays behind at the temple at age 12.  Some translations name him specifically and others just have a generic, “Jesus’ parents”.  But that is it.  In Luke’s gospel, Joseph is silent, but he does get a participation trophy.  

Wait.  What about the angel appearing to Joseph in a dream?  That is found in Matthew 1:18-25.  While that is certainly a great story, it is Matthew’s narrative and not Luke’s good news.  For Luke, Joseph is important because of what where he is from and who he is related to.

We have all had those moments where we don’t feel like we are being fully seen or heard.  I get referred to as “Ethan or Olivia’s dad” or “Just a pastor” or “From that church that so-so goes to.”  Moments when we feel pushed to the periphery and don’t even get the participation trophy!!

What stories from your own experiences start to stir and swirl in response to the above?

This is where it is good to remember that while I am the star of the drama/comedy/musical known as “My life”; I get an honorable mention in other people’s stories.  While I am on center stage in my own head, from the eyes and understandings of others I am barely on stage and certainly not in the spotlight.  

I celebrate Joseph as part of God’s divine story, and I know that I am called to participate too.  And it is good to remember where my hands and presence might be called to be part may or may not be the starring role.  But I would rather be in concert and caught up with what God is doing than only counting how many times my name gets dropped.  Such a way of seeing the world, as we heard in the quote on Monday, will cause us to let go of the ways we usually operate to be about God’s work in the world.  

Prayer: God open me to do what I can, where I can, regardless of whether anyone ever gives me an award.  Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Good Friday Prayer

  Hear these words from Rev. Nadia Bolz-Weber: Richard Rohr once wrote that “Holiness never  feels like holiness, it just feels like you’r...