Wednesday, December 23, 2020

Advent Week 4: Joy


But Mary treasured all these words and pondered them in her heart. Luke 2:19

Here we are on the day before Christmas Eve.  I know tomorrow will be different than years past.  I know Christmas Day will be different than years past.  I know that I grieve not being able to sing together, the holy hum of the sanctuary, the beautiful processional of children with the creche scene, the moments that the tiny hairs on my neck stand on end, and the joy of being able to wish everyone a “Merry Christmas” at the end of the 11 pm service.

I know that this year is different and difficult.  Yet, I return to the truth that the first Christmas was difficult too.  The challenges Mary and Joseph faced, their fierce faithfulness, and their prayerful pondering sings to my heart this year. 

To ponder is to pause.  To ponder is to be open.  To ponder is actively wait, watching in wonder or with curiosity for what is unfolding around you and with you.  To ponder means that we stand in the straw next to the shepherds steeped and surrounded by the sacred.  To ponder is worship without words but from the depths of our souls.  To ponder is the prayer posture I want to bring to Christmas Eve and Christmas Day this year.

To ponder is to reflect on what has been.  Take time today to look back at the good, the bad, and the ugly of this last year.  Take time today to see what God has been up to in your life over the last twelve months. 

To ponder is to reflect on what is, right now, in this present moment, on this day before Christmas Eve.  To open your ears, eyes, hearts, and whole life to God who is soaking and saturating every second of our lives.

To ponder is to look forward to what awaits us, not with fear, but a faithfulness born of the promise of Emmanuel, God with us and for us each and every day.

To ponder is my invitation to you right now.

Prayer: Here I am, God.  Here You are, God.  Here we are together.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tending Home

  As we explore Earth Week, honoring that from dust (earth/soil/mud) we are made and that we have a mixture of soil and star dust in our sou...