Monday, November 9, 2020

Communion Take Two

 



Morning Meditation ~

During worship yesterday, we celebrated communion.  The word is derived from com- "with, together" and unus "oneness, union."  Another way to say this is that communion is playfully bringing together the words “common,” as in the ordinary/everyday bread from our cupboards and juice from our refrigerators, and the word, “unity”.  Communion gives us a vision of common unity.  Given that we are still in the throws of a contentious election, it can seem difficult to think about what can bring us together as people.  

But, perhaps, one possible truth is going back to basics of what we do share – the needs for food, shelter, and love.  The human need for connection and care.  It is often noted that human beings, on a cellular level, are 99% the same.  Beneath the surface of skin color; language; places we call, “home,”; political understandings; where we find the holy; and all the other ways we categorize and compartmentalize each other; within us we are made of the same soil and star dust.  But, you will correctly say, we certainly don’t act that way!  You are right.  We don’t.  And the reasons why are complicated because we are complex.  I don’t always have rational or reasonable explanations for why I do what I do.  Or, at least reasons I’d like to admit out loud to someone else.  I remember when my kids were growing up and they did something I disapproved of I would ask, “Why did you do that?!”  And they would innocently say, “I don’t know.”  

At the time I was frustrated by that response.  But the more I grow, the more I realize that is the honest answer.  I don’t know why I do what I do many times.  Words come out without thinking.  Actions happen because I am on autopilot or fear has taken control of the wheel.  On top of that, we are increasingly segregated into people who think like us (what is often called, “confirmation bias”).  Add to that, if change is going to be too hard we justify why we’d rather NOT even start (what is called, “comfort bias”).  Finding some sense of community or communion right now will be hard, holy work.  It will take shattering the norm that we can’t talk to each other.  It will take risking listening to people who push our buttons.  This moment is asking prayerful for maturity of both feeling our emotions honestly and then breathing through those initial reactions to stay in relationship.  

If your mind is like my, the initial reaction that what I just wrote shows the comfort bias we have.  I think, “But what about this person whose racism or sexism or homophobia is too much?”  Or what about that person, can I really change him?  I am not sure.  I am convicted by Ruby Sales who challenges us both to name where there is pain and to live the call of the redemption for all creation.  

I am convicted by Parker Palmer who writes when faithfulness is our standard, we are more likely to sustain our engagement with tasks that will never end: doing justice, loving mercy, and calling the beloved community into being.  I will never complete the faithful work or justice/love/mercy, nor can I cease from prayerfully doing what I can, where I can.  

I am most certainly convicted by Jesus who broke bread and poured out wine with people who would desert, deny, and betray him.  The one who both said, “Love your enemies” and then modeled that on the cross.  I am not sure of every step on the path ahead.  I will stumble and fall flat on my face.  Most of all, I trust in God’s grace and love that picks me up to take the next right step.  

Prayer: May the truth of the communion table continue to work within my life this day and week.  With God’s love now more than ever. Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Morning Meditation ~ Earth Week

  One of my favorite authors is John O’Donohue.   I encourage you to read slowly this poem, prayer of his:   FOR A NEW BEGINNING   I...