Wednesday, September 9, 2020

Wednesday Meditation

 


Today is my nineteenth anniversary of ordination.  On September 9, 2001, at Urbandale UCC, I covenanted with God to serve the church and share my light.  I have preached almost a thousand sermons (many of which I don’t really remember); presided at funerals that broke my heart and weddings that brought me joy.  I’ve held babies in my arms to baptize and even one went down to a river in New Hampshire to perform a full immersion baptism.  There are moments that stand and stick out in my memories.  I remember the handbell choir playing Silent Night every Christmas Eve at my first church; tearing out 1960s gold carpeting in the sanctuary of the second church (God knows what kind of dust was hiding there!); and having holy/hard conversations at our church about the problems that challenge us today.  I also hold onto the ways people’s love here at our church makes a difference.  I treasure the ways we laugh at church meetings and try to listen with love to one another.  

Nineteen years ago, I took a step of faith forward.  I think of Peter in the gospel of Matthew when he steps out of the boat to walk toward Jesus on the water.  Then, he starts to sink.  Yup…been there over nineteen years.  Honestly, I have been there this last week stepping out of the boat and sinking in a time of online ministry and trying to connect digitally.  As we water started to soak his robe, reached his knees, the hand of Jesus caught him before his chest was wet.  Yup…been there too.  Especially this year when I feel like I am hanging on by a thread, I realize that the fringe/fray of fabric is one of God’s love.  Then, I realize that God’s grace is a net beneath me to catch me should I fall.  

I am honored to celebrate my nineteenth anniversary here with you as God’s people.  Our church is vital and vibrant, diverse and divine.  You each reflect God’s handiwork in ways that bless me beyond words.  Our church is resilient.  I know that no matter what we face, we do so together.  I know no matter what else happens, we will try to do our best to love each other the good and bad.

At my ordination we sang the hymn, “Won’t You Let Me Be Your Servant?”  I have posted a version of this hymn above.  I invite you to play the video and join your voice in praying or singing these words with me.

Won’t you let me be your servant, let me be as Christ to you? 

 Pray that I may have the grace to let you be my servant too.

We are pilgrims on a journey, we are travelers on the road; 

we are here to help each other go the mile and bear the load.

I will hold the Christ-light for you in the shadow of your fear, 

I will hold my hand out to you, speak the peace you long to hear.

I will weep when you are weeping; when you laugh, I’ll laugh with you.  

I will share you joy and sorrow till we’ve seen this journey through.

When we sing to God in heaven we shall find such harmony.  

Born of all we’ve known together of Christ’s love and agony.


Prayer: God continue to let the words and melody of this hymn sing to my heart and inspire my ministry in these days.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Good Friday Prayer

  Hear these words from Rev. Nadia Bolz-Weber: Richard Rohr once wrote that “Holiness never  feels like holiness, it just feels like you’r...