Monday, February 17, 2020

Collector of Quotes


Above photo was taken at the Santa Monica Pier in CA.

My mom collected salt and pepper shakers...my grandmother always bought a salt and pepper shaker everywhere she went...my dad was into model trains...and recently we held a celebration of life for someone who had over 500 nutcrackers ~ which we encouraged everyone at the service to take one (or six) with them knowing the person's fingerprints were all over this collection.

Me?

I feel like a collect quotes.

Quotes have a way of singing to my soul...they work and wiggle into my life.  One of my favorite quotes right now is, "Sometimes you have to let go of the life you planned for the the life you have."

See what I mean?

Those words have profound power and can evoke something within you.  After all, we are taught to have a dream and doggedly pursue it with passion.  We are told that if we happen to let the stumbles and set backs along the way cause us to give up, we have failed.  We have bought into the Disney quote, "If you can dream it...you can do it."  Sometimes this is true.  But sometimes, it just isn't so.

For example, I will never...never be the starting center for the Chicago Bulls.  First, I am only 5'10" ~ I am barely tall enough to ride the tilt-a-whirl at Disney.  Secondly (as if you need another reason), my eyesight isn't the best.  Okay, most of the time the people at the eye-glass story exhale loudly when trying to find a frame that might conceal the coke bottle lens I need to navigate the world.  Wearing glasses while playing basketball isn't exactly a positive.  Third (again as if this is needed), I don't shoot the ball well.  I am always the first out in the game of  H-O-R-S-E.  I can dream about it.  But sometimes you have to let go of what you planned for what you have.

What I have?

I have an amazing family who I care so much about ~ the life of a NBA athlete often takes him away from those he is closest to.
I have a job where people love me and listen to me and we laugh and lean into tough moments together.
I live in a place where it is warm...sometimes too warm in the summer, but you can't have it all.

What might you need to let go of?
What is right here and now that could be embraced?

May prayerfully living a response to those two questions give you more than a trace of God's grace in these February days.

Blessings ~~

No comments:

Post a Comment

Morning Meditation ~ Earth Week

  One of my favorite authors is John O’Donohue.   I encourage you to read slowly this poem, prayer of his:   FOR A NEW BEGINNING   I...