Monday, January 20, 2020

Midrashing with Mark


As soon as they left the synagogue, they entered the house of Simon and Andrew, with James and John. Now Simon’s mother-in-law was in bed with a fever, and they told him about her at once. He came and took her by the hand and lifted her up. Then the fever left her, and she began to serve them.

There is a pulse, urgency, and an immediacy to Mark's gospel.  The beat is up tempo, one that would match and mirror our modern day, fast - even frenzied - pace of life.  The urgency for Mark one that wants to lead us to the cross as quickly as possible.  To be sure, Mark wants to make sure we see specific scenes, but the shadow of the cross looms large.  Mark takes the interstate to Holy Week, without stopping at any rest stops...never visiting the tourist traps of the biggest ball of twine...always saying, "Move along folks, got lots to do and see...not much time.  Let's hurry."

Part of the reason why I want us to slow down and savor these words is not only because I think every word sparkles with endless entry points and every sentence can connect to our lives; but because the pulse under Mark is up tempo, we might race through missing some of the significance. 

For example, when we read the above story, perhaps we feel a bit frustrated that Simon's mother-in-law after being healed turns into Martha Stewart...she whips up a wonderful tater-tot hot dish and Jello salad on a lettuce leaf.  What in the world?

Or maybe she was filled with gratitude...sometimes when someone does something nice for me I want to respond in kind. 

Or sometimes part of who we are just needs to be expressed...maybe Simon's mother-in-law loved to host and cook ~ it could bring her joy.

Was it obligation...response....or something so deep within her being expressed?

We don't know!  The point of midrash isn't to solve scripture like it is a puzzle, but to let it linger and leave an impression.

My hunch is that part of the way you read this passage is a reflection on where you are at right now.

I could read this as an obligation if I had to sit through a meeting I didn't want to attend or feel like societies pressures feel like a burden.
I read this as a response or reaction if I just finished writing a "thank you" note.
I read this is an expression of who Simon's mother-in-law is in her core if I have found places and spaces to let my light shine.

Midrash isn't about the words on the page...or screen...but about us. 

In those moments, we might uncover and discover more than a trace of God's grace for you in these days.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Prayer sentence 4

  I invite you to breathe in and slowly exhale.   I invite you to rest in the promise that you don’t have to earn or deserve your way to God...