Friday, November 15, 2019

Jonah Final Poem Prayer




Gracious God, for moments I feel compelled and call to go in directions unexplained and to places off-limits...
Let the story of Jonah continue to rummage and roam around my life.
When I prefer to push others away, treating them as people like Nineveh,
Call me back to the beloved-ness of every person.
When I drag my feet and give half-hearted effort,
Remind me that You can even work in and through that.
When I want to puff up my chest and prove I am in charge, control,
Nudge me back toward the mystery of star-dust in my soul and seas surging within my body.
When I am tempted to run away, flee for the places where the grass promises to be greener ~ and a peacock for everyone ~
Let the wisdom of not everything that glistens/glimmers is gold convict my heart.

Grant that I would have the courage to look at those who vote differently, see the world differently, act in ways that are foreign or talk in languages I may never understand (even if I am speaking English).
And may I see Your belovedness there, dancing the eyes of the other.
Grant I would would stop the practice of "othering" and saying "those people" and pushing to the fringe people who reflect Your fingerprints.
And may I see Your belovedness there, dancing in the eyes of the other.
Grant me a willingness to be about the world in ways that help to heal, rather than divide.
Grant me a prayerful-ness to be in the world that helps to bridge, rather than widen the gap.
Grant me a hopefulness to be in this moment, rather than wanting to escape to somewhere exotic.

May these words to more than dance across a screen.  Let them sing and settle into me.  Let them sing and stir through me.  Let them be more than a trace of Your grace in these days.

Amen ~~ 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Prayer of St. Francis

  As we are exploring Earth Week, it is holy to return to the prayer of St. Francis.   I encourage you slowly to read these words, especiall...