Wednesday, July 3, 2019

I Had to Hurry take Two



In the last post I shard a picture and poem about capturing the beauty of the clouds when I was out walking one morning last week.  I was taken by the ways orange, red, and pink were all playfully painting the sky...but also noticed how the gray was starting to erase the colors.  The thought, "I have to hurry..." crossed my mind because I wanted to get a picture of the beauty before it disappeared.

Which makes me think about how much in the blur of life I might miss those traces of God's grace because it isn't on my calendar.  I mean, why can't God schedule the burning bush moments or text me when I should pay attention?  Perhaps that is why Paul encourages us in 1 Thessalonians 5 to, "pray without ceasing." 

Yet, I am not sure I was every taught or told how to persistently present and open and aware/awake to God's swirling presence around/within me.  It is a practice.  Rather than the rut of getting stuck in my schedule (as I am wont to do)...or stuck in my mind (that I am really good at too).  This reminds me that on vacation I saw a t-shirt that read, "Wait a moment while I overthink this."  I resemble that remark.  Yet, Paul is inviting us to pay attention to God's presence in our midst...to have a running commentary or listen to God's play-by-play of our life.

I love the idea that God might offer a running reflection on my life.  I just hear God, "Wes is in the store, going down the cereal aisle.  He has picked up the Fiber One, scanning the nutrition label.  Oh, wait, he is eyeing the Captain Crunch, looking around to see if anyone is watching, he tosses it in his cart covering it with some lettuce and quinoa.  I did not see that coming...or maybe I did."

Maybe that is a fun prayer practice for you.  To pause and listen for what God might be saying at that moment in your life.  To pray without ceasing may not mean that we have an endless monologue to God...it might mean we take regular moments to listen/lean in to what the sacred might be trying to say to us.  When we are stopped at a red light (especially if you are running late).  When we are about to meet a friend for lunch.  When we are settling in at night to watch some television or read a book.

What might our still speaking/singing/stirring God be up to?  Even right now as you are reading this?  Maybe you might even write down some what you are hearing God's reflection and response to you.

It is my prayer that such a practice might offer more than a trace of God's grace this day.

Grace and peace ~~

No comments:

Post a Comment

Prayer Sentences #5

  Sometimes it is good to rewind and review where we have been in the last week.   This is not an evaluation ~ there are no grades ~ just a ...