Wednesday, April 3, 2019

Lenten Words



In the last post we dove into two hymns that lifted up images of God.  We could do this for many of these words:

20.  God
21.  Jesus/Christ
22.  Spirit
23.  Trinity
24.  Friends
25.  Strangers
26.  Efficient

For examples...

For Jesus what jumps into my mind is Fairest Lord Jesus...Jesus Christ is Risen Today...
For the Spirit ~~ Sweet, Sweet Spirit....Spirit of the Living God Fall afresh on me
For the Trinity ~~ Holy, Holy, Holy ~ God in three persons...or the Doxology
For Friends I think about ~~ Bless Be the Tie that Binds

What a friend we have in Jesus...could be a double score hymn with both Friendship and Jesus.

You could continue on.

Wait, you say.  You forgot to talk about strangers and efficient.
Yes..yes I did.
Those are a bit more difficult...no title immediately, instantly come to mind.  I think of the great scripture passage, "You are no longer strangers/sojourners, but friends" that Paul says to the church in Rome.  Or maybe the wonderful spiritual, "Sometimes I feel like a motherless child" might give voice to those moments we feel like God is distant.  If we would set to music and sing Psalm 22, "My God, my God why have you forsaken me," that might be a moment of feeling estranged.  Or Psalm 137, "By the waters of Babylon (in exile ~ stranger in a strange land) we sat down a wept."  Part of what this reminds me is that we don't always know our ancient hymnal of the Psalms all that well.  The psalms give voice to not just "making a joyful noise" (#100)  but the moments we "flood our bed with tears" (#6).  The late Eugene Peterson memorized 7 psalms ~ one to recite each day. 

What a wonderful Lenten practice.

Wait, you say.  Lent is almost over...that isn't very efficient to give us that suggestion now?!  Where was that 20some days ago.
Yes...yes that is true.
But the point of Lent isn't to slog your way through 40 days to reach some goal at the end of finally getting to eat chocolate again...or stop praying.  40 is an invitation to intentionally, prayerfully practice what will extend beyond this season.  40 days of Lent turn to 50 days of Easter.  What better way to celebrate Easter than by continuing to connect to the spirit swirling and stirring around you and us?  So what if this week you started to memorize one psalm?  Just one.  If you grew up going to church you might even have one in your back pocket...with a head start.  "The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want." (Psalm 23).  What I love about the prayer practice of the psalms is that they sing to the heart, mind, and soul.  When you say...sing...a psalm you have the chance to ponder prayerfully, "Is this where I am at?"  Do I want to make a joyful noise or do I feel like I am walking/wandering in the valley of the shadow of death...or strolling by calm waters...or weeping under a tree where I have hung a harp and given up because I feel like a stranger in a strange land...or so frustrated I want to hurl rocks.  In the psalms are just about ever human emotion.  And God can take all of them.

May you find more than a trace of God's grace in whatever way you continue to take part in this journey of Lent...and beyond in these days.

Blessings ~~ 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Bread Crumb Prayer

  Bread and wine and water, O God, You always seem to find the holiness in the ordinary.   Not us, O God, we like the special and spectacula...