Monday, March 25, 2019

Lenten Words


Over the last few days you have had the opportunity to prayerfully play with the following words:

13.  Grace     
14.  Faith   
15.  Crawl
16.  Walk 
17.  Run   
18.  Purple 
19.  Party

Part of what is stirring and swirling within me is the ways in life crawling/walking/running isn't always just a linear and logical process.  Yes, strictly speaking, I stopped crawling somewhere in my early years.  But in other ways, spiritually and emotionally, there are times when I am brought to my knees and the only way to move forward is from the position.  There are times I can feel professionally, even with diplomas on the wall documenting my achievements, I am still crawling at trying to guide the church in the world today.  And don't even get my started on parenting...or marriage...or any relationship that has any value.  There are moments when I can feel like I am running on all cylinders only come to a screeching and abrupt halt...when I stumble and fall forward on my face...forcing me to crawl.

There is also a beautiful rhythm about coming to a crawl...slowing down.  In the beginning we know that God crafted and created in six days...but ceased on the seventh.  It was not endless productivity for God.  There was a moment to step back, breathe and be. 

Or remember as a kid in school sometimes feeling the clock was crawling along?  Or when you went to go visit that relative where you were not allowed to touch anything...where I was constantly, continually told, "Look with your eyes not with your hands."  So I would sit there staring at all these things glowing with enchantment, but if I got too close...so that my breath might disrupt some of the layer of dust on that collectible, I was scolded.  If only cell phones had been invented earlier, perhaps time might not have crawled along.

But there can also be a struggle when time is flying past.  I sometimes feel like the years, especially with my kids, is sand slipping through the fingers.  You cannot cling or grasp tight enough. 

Crawl...
Walk...
Run...

Where are examples right now where crawling is good?  And where is it bad?
Where is walking outside, strolling with your spouse, or just having a savory pace both good and is there a place where it is not so great/grand?
Where is running...good and where might it be bad?  Like when I am running late or running on empty...or maybe it is more like Chariots of Fire where the lead character says, "I believe God made me for a purpose, but he also made me fast. And when I run I feel His pleasure."

The beauty of these words is that there are blessings and brokenness in all of them.  There are moments the words point toward something beautiful and positive and powerful.  There are moments they can describe and define the struggle of life.

I pray as you continue to let the words sit, simmer, and sing to your soul...there may be more than a trace of God's grace.

Blessings ~~

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Blessings for May

  Happy May Day everyone!!  As we enter a new month, it can be a bit like a blank canvas. I wonder what prayers are stirring and swirling wi...