Wednesday, February 27, 2019

Meeting Matthew Again...Anew


“The kingdom of heaven is like treasure hidden in a field, which someone found and hid; then in his joy he goes and sells all that he has and buys that field.  “Again, the kingdom of heaven is like a merchant in search of fine pearls; on finding one pearl of great value, he went and sold all that he had and bought it."

Okay...I thought the seed parable from a few days ago was strange, but these two might be even more peculiar. 

First, if you found the treasure...why are you buying the field?  Most folks would just take the treasure and run.  I know, I know people are going to say that, "Legally and ethically you should own the property on which the treasure is found, so you can own rightfully the contents of said field."  But, how often do we think this really happens? 

Second, I am not sure how precious that pearl was...to sell everything.  Like his house...his bed...his clothing?  Just for a pearl?  Maybe I have too much Midwestern practical-ness in me, but I am thinking, "A fool and his money are soon parted."  By the way, it makes complete sense to me why that quote has a male pronoun!!

The slipperiness and subversiveness of the parables...that while we may stroke our chin and say, "Very interesting ideas..."  We really need to be saying, "I don't get it."  I know, I know scholars and preachers want to say, "Faith is like a treasure and a pearl, you need to give everything you have for it."  Or, "A life with God is worthy sacrificing all you have and all you are."  On one level that does make some sense.  But on a deeper sense, I am troubled by the economics of these two parables.  It seems to imply that you could buy your way in...or it could lead to people doing serious emotional, economic, or relational damage to him/herself and/or others in the name of serving God.  I know people who have sent life savings into televangelists or people who give the church more than they can really afford.  I think sometimes as a church we can mistake busyness of faithfulness. 

So, again, I am left scratching my heads.  Maybe it would be easier to just accept the surface level interpretation...faith can ask us to do some silly things - like get up early on a Sunday morning when clearly God is still asleep or go to meetings where you keep scheduling more meetings.  Yes, faith will sometimes ask us to put God above other priorities.  But, I question if that should be every day.  Sometimes I need to put my family first...after all I made a marriage vow before God to my wife and baptismal promises to my children.  I need to be present and see them for the treasure/great pearl they are.  Sometimes I need to put my own needs for rest and recreation next...after all I am made in God's loving imagine.  Maybe the treasure and pearl can be both out there...something we seek and search for...traces of grace...

And

The trace of grace within us and those closest to us.

I am not sure that solves the parable...but I am pretty sure this story wasn't a puzzle in the first place.  Rather, it was wisdom words I needed to keep working and wiggling...rummaging and roaming around my life. 

Blessings ~~ 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Prayer Sentences #5

  Sometimes it is good to rewind and review where we have been in the last week.   This is not an evaluation ~ there are no grades ~ just a ...