Thursday, June 29, 2017

Acting Up and Out ~~ The Church Today

When he (Saul/Paul) had come to Jerusalem, he attempted to join the disciples; and they were all afraid of him, for they did not believe that he was a disciple. But Barnabas took him, brought him to the apostles, and described for them how on the road he had seen the Lord, who had spoken to him, and how in Damascus he had spoken boldly in the name of Jesus. So he went in and out among them in Jerusalem, speaking boldly in the name of the Lord. Acts 9

After Paul's conversion, he tries to join the disciples...and it is awkward to say the least.  Let's be honest, when someone who has bullied us or fanned the flames of fear suddenly says s/he has had a come to Jesus moment...I can be as skeptical and cynical as anyone.  Sure...I want to say...that is great that you want to make up, but I am kinda busy right now.  I'll get back to you.  (In three years...I say under my breath).

But then Barnabas comes and vouches for the guy.  Which makes me wonder...who am I vouching for today?  Who, because of actions or words...their past...has felt shut out, but now wants to be part of the community...that I am actually trying to stand beside?  Because that path feels like it is paved with thorns and thistles.  That path feels like pushing a stone up the hill threatening to roll over me at any moment.

Just as I think we all have some Simon in us...so too...we need to have some Barnabas as well as Paul.  Paul is willing to change, go in the exact opposite direction.  Barnabas is willing to go with him.  That is a bold, audacious, hairy goal for the church.  Can we be Barnabas for each other?  Supporting and strengthening one another?  Can we be honest as Paul?

I hear Paul saying, "Yeah, I was totally wrong on this.  I messed up.  Can you forgive me?"

Those four words...can you forgive me? are some of the most powerful and profound and possibility difficult to utter...really mean.  I would rather deny...

"I wasn't my fault."

Deflect...
"Well, I wouldn't have done it, if it wasn't for him."

Distract...
"Well, if you think that is bad, just wait til you here what she did."

I have lots of tools in my box to make sure I don't own my own stuff.  I am a ninja when it comes to trying to get out of difficult situations.  But Paul owns it.  And when you do that, when others do that, we are called to let our inner Barnabas break through.  Rather than keep re-hashing or remembering all that stuff from the past.  Which is another tool in my box when I mess up."

"Oh, well I know I forgot our anniversary...but do you remember when you forgot my birthday?"

Where are S/Paul's sandals in your closet...going through a transformation?
Where are Simon's sandals in your closet...thinking we can buy our way out of the situation and into power?
Where are Barnabas' sandals in your closet...moments you risk and form relationship with someone with whom you have a complicated past, but are willing to try to live a new way?

I pray those questions awaken more than a trace of grace for you in these days.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Prayer Sentences #5

  Sometimes it is good to rewind and review where we have been in the last week.   This is not an evaluation ~ there are no grades ~ just a ...