Sunday, April 30, 2017
Confirmation
Today was my son's confirmation.
First and foremost...how in the world do I have a son old enough for confirmation? That doesn't make sense. I mean, sure he is only an inch shorter than I am. Sure he is in 7th grade...almost 8th. Gulp...that much closer to driving. Sure, the years seem to have flown past in some ways. But confirmation...eek!
To confirm is a great word in the church. We confirmed today that our youth/young adults are beloved children of God. We confirmed today that the spirit is moving in amazing ways in their lives. We affirmed that God's grace has brought them thus far on the way. We confirmed our prayer that God would continue to bless, guide, and love them every day. And we definitely confirmed that this is not the end of the journey...not at all!
The joke usually goes that you don't see a youth after you confirm them. But sometimes our attempts at humor make reality rather than point toward it. Are we giving our youth/young adults reasons to stick around? Are we helping them see that we are not finished...and they have much that could help the church in this time? After all, I don't see my son as the church of the future, he is the church of today. He has been there listening to my sermons, putting up with my schedule, and a part of my life for thirteen years now.
Today was a sign post to confirm my life for him. To affirm that I will keep walking this road with him. That when he questions God, wanders away, wonders if maybe this church thing is too much, or simply needs a break, I will keep loving him. That is what I confirmed today. And I sense it exactly what God confirmed as well. I can only pray one day, my son will experience that as the biggest truth in his life. Until then, I keep walking with him in the mystery of Easter faith.
I pray you feel the confirming and affirming love of God this day.
Grace and peace ~~
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Prayer
God promises to all who trust in the gospel forgiveness of sins and fullness of grace, courage in the struggle for justice and peace, the ...
-
You discern my thoughts from far away, O God. You search out my path and my lying down. And are acquainted with all my ways. Psalm 13...
-
Words create worlds...said Abraham Heschel Words that I speak. Words that I hear. Words that I want to hold at a distant. Words that ...
-
Through the Word all things came into being… What is coming into being with your word this week? Maybe your Advent word is helping ...

No comments:
Post a Comment