Sunday, August 21, 2016

Ignoring Lines


I will admit that I have caught the adult coloring book craze. I find it to be relaxing when I let go of that inner art critic that wants to remind me that my efforts are not going to win a blue ribbon at the Iowa State Fair. When I don't listen to the voice that wants to say, "You are not really gonna show that to anyone, right?" When that voices says, "Well, I will give you a B- for effort." But then again, this really about anyone other than me. I find there is joy in the artistic expression that doesn't result in a sermon. I find there is joy in what could be called, "A waste of time." Or, "Unproductive". But in addition to not listening to that inner voice, outwardly, I am learning to color outside the lines. Letting the colors run free...not messy or sloppy...but free form. After all rarely in the world around us do color simply stop and stay in bounds. The blue hues of the sky fade and flow. The greens of the grass gently move from one color to another.

Not only do I find joy in ignoring the lines, but also in blending the colors. When grey meets blue, there new hue jumps off the page.  When red and yellow sit close together there is a new vibrant sense that I see.  Blending colors and letting them float outside the lines, that is good wisdom for life too.  We live in a world that could benefit from races connecting and neighborhoods crossing.  I also fully realize as a white male, that is easy for me to say.  Life is not a coloring book. In reality, it can be painful for those of other races to cross lines. Blending for those who are African-American, Latino/a, and other races often means assimilating to the assumed normative, dominate, white way. And so, if we really desire races connecting, it needs to start with folks like me assuming we know best or controlling the crayon box.

It takes time. Like the pictures in my coloring books, I don't think our first attempts are going to be instant masterpieces. But with practice and patience, with honesty and listening through love, with God's grace, we maybe can start to color our lives in a whole new way.

May the traces of God's grace move in your life ~

No comments:

Post a Comment

Prayer Sentences #5

  Sometimes it is good to rewind and review where we have been in the last week.   This is not an evaluation ~ there are no grades ~ just a ...