Wednesday, July 13, 2016

Lessons Learned from My Dog



Two weeks ago, we got a new puppy.  It's has been a lot of fun...and a lot of work...which is a true statement about most things that offer meaning within our life.  Whether we are talking about work or relationships or prayer or trying to train a new puppy there are moments of joy and frustration.  Times when it feels like it is two steps forward (only ONE accident inside today...or I only lost my temper once...or finding yourself saying, "I can't believe they pay me to do this!) and then it is four steps back (Really? Four accidents today?? or I can't believe how frustration is just fuming out my ears right now...or they really don't pay me enough to do this!).  There is risk in life.  Anything worth doing will offer incredible and indescribable moments and moments you wonder why.  A huge part of why this is...is because we come face-to-face with the truth that we are not in control...you can't logic your way out of everything (especially with a puppy) and there is risk in any relationship.

Now...if this is true for us humans here on earth, it is also true for our connection with God.  It is especially true as we try to stay open and aware of the holy in our lives.  God can at times seem as unpredictable and unclear as dealing with a puppy.  What does God want me to do?  Usually cultivate joy, share love, seek justice and celebrate the beauty of God around us and within us.  But beside all that, what does God want me to do with that person or is that situation? Sometimes we know...but we want to know more and be more confident and certain and alleviate all our fear.  But that might actually make our life less mysterious and holy.  On my best days...most prayerful and sacred soaked days...I don't want to know everything.  I want to be surprised by the serendipity.  I want to laugh at my boneheadedness and fall flat on my face.  I want to look at fear and say, "Sure I know you are here, but you don't get to pick the radio station" - to quote Elizabeth Gilbert.  I want to live in the moment...this beautifully imperfect moment with all its wonderful unpredictability.

There is probably lots more I could say...but my dog just brought me her blue ball and its time to play.

Grace and peace ~

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tending Home

  As we explore Earth Week, honoring that from dust (earth/soil/mud) we are made and that we have a mixture of soil and star dust in our sou...