Sunday, February 21, 2016

Lent 10: prayerful and intentional



“Earth's crammed with heaven, 
And every common bush afire with God, 
But only he who sees takes off his shoes;
The rest sit round and pluck blackberries.” ~ Elizabeth Barrett Browning

Can God really be found in my bowl of bran flakes?
Is God really woven into the words of that person who I always roll my eyes at?
Do I really need to take off my shoes as though every where I stand has an "X" that marks the sacred spot where God is?
Can I live with God here and now?

Those questions need more than simple responses, they can demand our
energy
thoughtfulness
prayerful-ness
pleadful-ness
playful-ness

Because at some point...after we let go of the illusion that we are fully in control and in charge.
After we let go of the need to understand everything.
After we let go of my way or the highway...
There is a stunned silence that can be filled best with our laughing.

Our outburst of joy.
Our cup-over-flowing
Side aching
Tear streaming down our cheek
Can't catch our breath
Joy.

That kind of joy found in the midst of here.
That kind of joy is what might just save and change our life.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Bread Crumb Prayer

  Bread and wine and water, O God, You always seem to find the holiness in the ordinary.   Not us, O God, we like the special and spectacula...