Friday, March 1, 2013

Well...that was unexpected



Click here to read Isaiah 57

Click here to read Isaiah 58

Here Isaiah goes again...being all confrontational.  Right after admonishing the people that they will need to accept foreigners, now Isaiah starts to criticize the Israelites for their way of worship.  Isaiah says I know back in chapter 40, I spoke of comfort and an easy path home, but you still have to watch out.

I think sometimes we'd prefer faith to be more predictable and pre-packaged.  Why all the criticism and critique?  Why can't we just try our best and leave it at that?  Isaiah won't let the People of God rest.  I don't know how the people acted in Isaiah, but I wonder if today that message would clear out the sanctuary faster than the final "Amen."

Let's be honest, we don't expect our faith to be challenged much in church any more.  There are too many options, the mainline Protestant church has lost too many people, and most pastors feel like they are on thin ice...and can hear the sound of cracking all around them.  Those who do try to challenge the status quo quickly bump hard against barriers.

Let's also be honest, most pastors are not Isaiah either.  I know my own perspective is too colored by my own biases and limitations.  My own best arguments are flawed and contain more holes than Swiss cheese.  Who am I to try to proclaim or challenge, I have my own stuff too.

I am not sure how Isaiah felt or why after fifty-some chapters he is still poking the bear.  I am not sure how Isaiah would be received today.  Maybe people would see him as a curiosity or maybe people would try to have him get professional help for depression or images of grandeur.  I don't know.  I do know that the world is different today.  And I do know that if we are looking for challenges, Jesus picked up on my of these themes in his parables.  After Easter, I will be turning to parables in church.  I think these stories are ones we've often reduced to bite-size morality lessons.  But they are really turn-your-life-upside-down challenges to the status quo.  That is easier to do with a story.

For now, I encourage you to let the words of Isaiah roam around.  How is your relationship with God?  What is your reaction after traveling through 57 chapters?  Do you like this book?  Does it challenge you in a good way or leave you cold?

Those are important questions as we wind down and ones I pray you might sense a trace of God's grace as you prayerfully ponder.

Blessings!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Bread Crumb Prayer

  Bread and wine and water, O God, You always seem to find the holiness in the ordinary.   Not us, O God, we like the special and spectacula...