Sunday, March 10, 2013

Nearing the end of the Road




We are nearing the end of our journey through Isaiah.  After weeks of listening to Isaiah, after hearing Isaiah's visions of accountability, responsibility, and hope; after several posts trying to shine a light on our whole life (blessedness and brokenness), the one word I would use to describe Isaiah is "bittersweet."  

There are bittersweet moments in our life.  Moments where joy and pain intermingle and are tangled in unimaginable ways.  Most of the time I think we act as though joy and pain are so separated in our lives that we can only feel one of those emotions.  But the truth in my life is that I feel the two simultaneously all the time.  A friend tells me he is moving out of the area for a new job...bittersweet.  I notice my kids are getting older....bittersweet.  I realize I am going older...bittersweet.  Something at church goes well while another event goes astray...bittersweet.

Some suggest that one of the realities of our world is that we try to shield or shelter ourselves from feeling these highs and lows.  That is part of why there are so many addictions in our lives: to food, to all kinds of drugs, shopping, and even the frenzy pace of life.  Rob Bell says, "We slide down the surface of life" today.

Isaiah will not allow us to slide down the surface.  He asks us to notice both the joy and pain equally within our lives.  Isaiah has been honest, brutally honest, with us for 65 chapters.  After being on this journey, what is your response to Isaiah?  What insights do you have about Isaiah?  What questions linger?

When dwelling and reading the Word, our insights and questions are important.  But even more important is sharing those insights and questions with others...and listening to what questions and insights the other brings.  One down side to posting on a blog about Scripture is it does not always afford us a chance to talk face to face.  While it is convenient and can fit it into our schedule as we are able, we lose the ability to talk with others.  That is bittersweet too.

I find Isaiah helpful in thinking about my life, the ups and downs, twists and turns.  While I think Isaiah could stand to be a bit more hopeful...so could I.

I pray you have found traces of God's grace in this Word.  I pray you will think about your insights and questions.  I think those can help you and the community of Christ as we prepare for the mystery of Easter morning.

Blessings and peace 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Prayer of St. Francis

  As we are exploring Earth Week, it is holy to return to the prayer of St. Francis.   I encourage you slowly to read these words, especiall...