Friday, January 18, 2013

Sing Out with Gusto


Click here to read Isaiah 12

Okay, I know what you were expecting, because I was expecting it too.  Every time previously when Isaiah had given us a sign of hope and soaring words of what living in God's presence would mean, the very next chapter would come crashing down to earth with painfully realistic words.  But this time, Isaiah does not do that.  Instead he offers a hymn of praise and celebration.

The first part of the hymn acknowledges that it has not always been smooth sailing and chocolate rivers.  The first verse suggests that God was angry and disappointed.  Often times the ways Christian's picture God is either as a being who is angry at us all the time for all the rotten stuff we do.  Or God as someone who is willing to over look all that bad stuff for the sake of love.  I usually have tended to lean toward the latter understanding.  But I am wondering if there is a messy middle place in-between the two sides.  It is not that I need to have God feel disappointed in my words and actions.  Part of what Isaiah reminds me is that my words and actions have consequences, not only with other humans, but also with God.  To be angry is not in contradiction with love.

Don't get me wrong, I still think God got out of the smiting business several centuries ago.  But I think God, as a "weak force" in our lives can feel disappointment when we miss God's presence in the eyes of another.  Lightening bolts will not come out of God's fingers in response, but a sense that our relationship with God is broken or amiss, which is what Isaiah is singing about.

Isaiah then crescendos to sing out joyfully.  I encourage you this day and in weeks to come to think about how you can join in Isaiah's song.  How can we be honest in our songs to God about our past mistakes and missteps?  And out of that how does the waters of baptism help remind us that God reconciles us to God's self in such honest and heartfelt moments.

May you notice the traces of God's grace as you make a joyful noise.

Blessings and peace!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Prayer sentence 4

  I invite you to breathe in and slowly exhale.   I invite you to rest in the promise that you don’t have to earn or deserve your way to God...