Wednesday, January 30, 2013

A Place Called "Home"


Click here to read Isaiah 24

The other evening Stephen Colbert did a commentary on Global Warming.  I encourage you to watch it.  Not only for the comic...albeit sarcastic commentary....on how politicians are responding to the threat of the extreme heat in Australia, the fate of polar ice caps, and the increasing Carbon Dioxide.  But because I think Colbert offers a good challenge.

I am not scientist.  I know facts can be twisted in different directions until they are barely recognized as "fact" anymore.  I know people with all sorts of intentions...good and bad...have a tendency to do this. You can over state facts to try to motivate people to change, because unless there is urgency change is a slooooooooow process.  I also know you can under sell a fact, banking on the fact that change is a sloooooooow process.

I know that I am not going to start riding my bike to work...right now...at least.  I also know that there are things I can do.  I know there might be people reading this who don't think global warming is all that big of a problem.  Like so many issues today, we tend to take a side and fight like our life depends on us winning.  Problems by their very nature are multifaceted and complex.  If there was an easy solution or clear facts, it wouldn't be much of a problem.

What I do know is that I take Genesis 1 seriously.  If God declared all creation (not just humans) good, very good, then my actions toward creation should heed God's still speaking voice.  I also know the truth of what Paul said to the church in Rome about the whole creation groaning.  I don't know if he had Isaiah in mind when he wrote that, I don't know if a cloud of smog was hanging over Israel like it current is in Salt Lake City.  I do know that the wisdom of Scripture in this case transcends time and causes me to stop in my tracks.

I hope you will take the time to click on some of the links I have posted to this blog, spend some time thinking prayerfully about the theology of care for creation and our current state, and may the traces of God's grace guide us as we face the realities of the place we call "home."

Grace and peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Bread Crumb Prayer

  Bread and wine and water, O God, You always seem to find the holiness in the ordinary.   Not us, O God, we like the special and spectacula...