Thursday, September 28, 2023

Here

 

Brian McClaren in his book, Naked Spirituality, entitled his first chapter, “Here”.  Because this moment is where we start the curriculum of life.  We cannot go back and edit everything about our life ~ there is no rewind button.  We can, of course, seek forgiveness, repair relationships, and engage in reconciliation ~ but this all occurs in the present, not by building a time machine to go backwards.  McClaren ends that chapter with a simple three sentence prayer.

Here I am God.

Here You are.

Here we are together.

In this sacred simplicity, you are invited to pause after each sentence.  Here I am, God.  Pause.  You can name and notice where you are physically ~ the sights/sounds/smells ~ as we did on Monday.  You can also name and notice where you are emotionally and mentally and spiritually.  Here I am, God, in my office with my cup of coffee.  Here I am a bit worn down and weary from the week.  Here I am, God still carrying that boneheaded thing I said yesterday.  Here I am, God, thanking You for this morning and breath and life.

The next line is to notice God is with you.  This is what the story of Jacob and Moses affirm ~ there is nowhere God is not.  After celebrating God is with you, listen for God.  Now, I am not saying God is going to show up instantly and immediately.  Mystics have always said that when we sit silently with God, God sits silently with us.  This isn’t about some mountain top revelation; it is the reassurance of being held in God’s presence.

This is where the third sentence comes into play ~ here we are together.  And as you honor this moment called, “here” and this time called, “now” may you sense your heart, head, and whole life being filled with the sacred. 

I pray this practice opens you to God in this time and as time unfolds today. Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment

The Hymnal of our Soul Part 4

  Engaging with art means we have to slow down to allow a new experience to enter which perhaps cannot be accessed in another way. It can be...