Friday, August 11, 2023

Your Love for God

 


Psalm 18 begins playfully and prayerfully, “I love you, O God, my strength.” (NRSV) Or, “I love You, Eternal One, source of my power.” (The Voice translation).  Or, “I love you, God – You make me strong.”  I invite you to savor this and pray these intimate words.  We often talk about God’s love for us, but what about our love ~ and particularly YOUR love ~ for God.  How do you express your love for God?  Reminds me of the idea of five love languages which are: words of affirmation/compliments, quality time, gifts, acts of service, and physical touch.  Usually, we think of these are between two humans.  But there is crossover into how we express our love for God.  Some people want to offer beautiful words to God (this resonates with me).  Some want to spend time in quiet contemplation with God.  Some want to give to God financially.  Some want to give of talents and time.  Others want to dance with God or experience God out in creation with the taste of salt on the tip of their tongue as they walk on the beach.  Maybe you found yourself in two or three of those “languages.”  I invite you to hold your love for God and to be held by the love of God this day.  I pray that you might even add a sixth love language ~ go play with God and laugh with God and rejoice with God.  As the mystics have said, “The glory/deepest prayer/expression of love to God is a human being fully alive.”  May you be alive in God and let God’s life be fully in you this day and in the days to come.  Amen. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

The Hymnal of Our Soul Part 3

  “We are all human beings. We are all feeling this emotion together at the same time. And this is uniting us. We are not separate.”   Alice...