Thursday, June 10, 2021

Lord's Prayer

 


Since yesterday was so much fun, let’s do another two hymns.

I heard you say, “Ugh!” all the way here.

Actually, it is two different settings for the same words, but it was fun to get that strong of a reaction from you.  Just wait until next week when the morning meditations are going to talk about the structure of the Lord’s Prayer…I already know my “views” and “shares” will be down.

Guide me, O My Great Redeemer is numbers 18 and 19 in the New Century Hymnal.

The first verse I draw us near to hear today:

Guide me, O my great Redeemer, pilgrim through this barren land; I am weak, but you are mighty; hold me with your powerful hand.  Bread of heaven, bread of heaven feed me till I want no more, feed me till I want no more.

First, the image of God as the One who renews, restores, and redeems our life is powerful.  God as redeemer means that I can’t save myself.  Many of my self-improvement projects don’t always turn out so great.  What saves my life is God’s presence and peace.  Yet, the hymn points out, this doesn’t mean life is all chocolate rivers and pony rides.  God redeems us even as we reside in a barren land.  Push pause on that.  Double click on that point.  God redeems us even in the midst of a pandemic and polarization and pain.  God redeems us not because we earned this grace but because grace is who God is.  When we pray the Lord’s Prayer today, how might these truths be an undercurrent that stirs our souls?    

Continue to hold these words of this hymn today.  Read slowly, savoring the other two verses.  Let this prayer practice of the hymnal in one hand and the Lord’s Prayer on the tips of our tongues continue to shape the ways we discover the Divine dancing in our midst today.

Prayer: Redeeming God at work in all our lives, continue to open our hearts and clear away the clutter of our ears so that we might find ways to connect with You and each other this day.  Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Holy Foolishness

  Throughout the month of April, we have been playing with the invitation of holy foolishness that is at the heart of Easter.   We have jour...