Wednesday, July 11, 2018

Life and Death


Another photo from my hike.

I love this one because it shows the juxtaposition, the intermingling of life and death.  In the foreground you see another tree that has fallen ~ albeit smaller than the one from the last post (which is another way to imagine the different size of obstacles). 

Now, I could focus on the tree that has fallen - the death part of the picture.

Or I can focus on the lush life of greenery all around it.

Or I can focus on both!

This holds true for our daily lives too.  There are things right now that are broken in my life.  Things that are not going anywhere or growing.  Things that feel cut off or hanging by a thread.  Things that I wish were better.  I can think of examples in my ministry, in my relationship with God, in my connections with family.

And there are amazing things happening...things that are going and growing new directions.  New ideas springing forth.  Consider these photos as one example...they have been on my phone for about a month before inspiring this series of posts.  Or I think about a great vacation I had last week with my family that still brings a smile to my face.

The point for me isn't that I have to focus on only the places of brokenness or greenery...both are a reality.  Both are part of the snapshots of life.  Both have something to teach and tell us.

So, where are trees fallen metaphorically in your life?  Where is there still life growing in amazing ways?  How do both combine beautifully in your life?

May there be more than a trace of God's grace in such prayerful pondering today for you.

Blessings ~~

No comments:

Post a Comment

Prayer Sentences #5

  Sometimes it is good to rewind and review where we have been in the last week.   This is not an evaluation ~ there are no grades ~ just a ...