Sunday, July 23, 2017

Sunday morning prayer


Insistent and persistent God,
break through my own complacency.

When I get stuck on the sidelines;
When I turn every problem into right and wrong;
When life becomes a mathematical equation rather than a mystery.

When I cling to my privilege, power, and prestige.
When I prefer the lure of respectability rather than risk the hostile glare and word.
When I struggle to find words soaked in love instead quickly speak words of division.

Call me back.

Call me back to the place grounded in grace, solid ground of You.
Call me back to what I know to be true deep down within me.
Call me back to the seed of You taking root in my soul.

Call me out.

Out of complacency.
Out of control.
Out of clinging.

Call me back to the ancient prayer of our Celtic brothers and sisters,

"Let me hold tightly no cherished outcomes."

I still have prayers and plans...maps and dreams.
But I don't hold them so tightly that they never see the light of day.
But I don't hold them so tightly I cut them off from the air of Your ruach/spirit/stirring.
But I don't hold them so tightly that I refuse to let You get a word in edgewise.

So help me listen this morning with more than my ears...but with my heart, soul, and whole life.

May it be so.

Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Bread Crumb Prayer

  Bread and wine and water, O God, You always seem to find the holiness in the ordinary.   Not us, O God, we like the special and spectacula...