Tuesday, February 21, 2017

It Is Well with my Soul



After Jesus had finished all his sayings in the hearing of the people, he entered Capernaum. A centurion there had a slave whom he valued highly, and who was ill and close to death.  When he heard about Jesus, he sent some Jewish elders to him, asking him to come and heal his slave. When they came to Jesus, they appealed to him earnestly, saying, “He is worthy of having you do this for him, for he loves our people, and it is he who built our synagogue for us.”  And Jesus went with them, but when he was not far from the house, the centurion sent friends to say to him, “Lord, do not trouble yourself, for I am not worthy to have you come under my roof;  therefore I did not presume to come to you. But only speak the word, and let my servant be healed.  For I also am a man set under authority, with soldiers under me; and I say to one, ‘Go,’ and he goes, and to another, ‘Come,’ and he comes, and to my slave, ‘Do this,’ and the slave does it.”  When Jesus heard this he was amazed at him, and turning to the crowd that followed him, he said, “I tell you, not even in Israel have I found such faith.”  When those who had been sent returned to the house, they found the slave in good health.  Luke 7:1-7

Healing stories are peculiar part of our faith.  On the one hand, there are many moments in Scripture when Jesus heals someone.  On the other hand, there are many moments in our life when a loved one in our family or friend prayed in earnest to be healed of an illness, only to die.  What is the deal?  Some point to the fact that Jesus didn't cure/heal everyone in his day either.  There were many folks who tragically died...Jesus among them on the cross.  Other's though take a posture of trying to defend God saying things like, 'If you just have enough faith.'  I wish those six words were never strung together.  Jesus was clear that a mustard seed size faith was sufficient.  Usually when we talk about 'enough faith' that is more about us than the person who is struggling or suffering.  Even more, it is about our own discomfort in the face of someone else's fragility and morality.  Illness doesn't have time for politeness...nor for us to project our stuff on to someone else.

So why...why some who are cured and some not?  Rob Bell often says that we need to be weary of quick and easy answers to such a profound question.  I agree.  There is more mystery than certainty.  But I also know that there is a difference between healing and cure.  I can be cured of an illness (like a sore shoulder) but that doesn't mean I will be healed (stop trying to over do my golf swing...after all I am holding a club in my hand it is only natural and normal that I swing for the fences, right?)  That is a silly example.  I have seen people living with cancer who are more alive than someone who hasn't been to the doctor in years.  Or Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. talked about people who can be dead at the age of 39 even though they are still breathing.  Life is.  Life is a mystery.  We all have some illness and brokenness and pain we are trying to find relief and restoration.

The early Christian theologian Augustine came to a moment of faith insight after a tooth ache.  Suddenly life before the tooth ache was all chocolate rivers and roses.  But in the midst of the tooth ache, he cursed the day he was born.  Afterwards, he said that is like realizing our own brokenness.  Once you have experienced the pain you cause yourself and others, you cannot go back.  You cannot return to some sense of naivete.  Experiencing the sorrow and sadness will forever leave a mark on your life.  It is why I never understood the phrase about "Getting over grief."  It isn't some obstacle.  It is a season...it is a truth we will encounter.

I think about the hymn writer for It is Well with My Soul...who penned those words after the death of his family aboard a ship.  How in the world could it be well with his soul?  I would be shouting at God.  But there was a grace...a healing...a wholeness...that took over his heart that still causes our hearts to sing out fully today.

So, how is it with your soul?  Is there some sea billow that is crashing down?  Or is it smooth sailing?  Or does it depend on the hour?  (I am definitely in the third camp).

I encourage you to spend sometime listening to your soul this week...and asking the question, "How is it with my soul?"

And may grace and peace be with you ~~

No comments:

Post a Comment

Prayer Sentences #5

  Sometimes it is good to rewind and review where we have been in the last week.   This is not an evaluation ~ there are no grades ~ just a ...