Friday, November 8, 2013

Thanksgiving take 1


If the only prayer we ever utter was "Thank you" it would be enough ~ Miester Eckhart

There is something about the autumn air swirling around us that awakens our desire to give thanks.  We know we should be grateful in every season.  But let's face it, in early spring the snow has turned grey and will not go away.  But the time the sun finally melts all the piles, we are longing to get out and do something.  We might utter thanks as we rush off for a walk or on a vacation, but as the temperatures fall, our ability to be thankful seems to raise.  Perhaps it is also because the days of year are dwindling and we are reflective.  Perhaps it is because the culture at large encourages us to be thankful.

What are you grateful for this season? 

I wonder if perhaps it is the food that helps.  The first taste of apple or pumpkin pie.  Warm banana bread or comfort foods of meatloaf and mashed potatoes.  These seem to help give us the energy to turn our thoughts to giving thanks.

My family just began a practice this week that I think would be good for all of us to practice not just for one Thursday in November, but everyday.  Before we eat...and believe me this is challenging to my son who sees food and the fork seems to have a magnetic power to start bringing the food toward his mouth...we go around and offer one moment/event/thing for which we are thankful.  Then, we say a prayer of thanksgiving to God.  

Let me be clear on two things:
1).  We've already given thanks for such great "amazing things" as electronics games, Garfield comics, American Girl dolls, and getting things done at work...I am sure you can sort out who said what.  I really do love Garfield :)

2).  But...and I am not making this up...the kids actually want to pray.  And by Wednesday, the kids wanted to lead the prayer.  

I was amazed.  And I was very thankful!

So, in this season of so many blessings, I offer this to you as an opportunity to let the build up to Thanksgiving Day be about more than getting the turkey or figuring out where your family is going to sleep (as important as that is).  Perhaps we could each live thanks every day.

Blessings ~ 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Good Friday Prayer

  Hear these words from Rev. Nadia Bolz-Weber: Richard Rohr once wrote that “Holiness never  feels like holiness, it just feels like you’r...