Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Thanksgiving Part 2



The classic symbol of Thanksgiving is a cornucopia.  While we are used to nuts, dried corn, pumpkins and gourds flowing forth from this odd shaped basket.  In fact, it is actually a horn that comes from Greek mythology.  One of the more well known stories is about Zeus, who has an infant, broke off a rams horn that became an endless source of food for his nourishment.  You will never look at your centerpiece the same.

Regardless of where the cornucopia comes from, today, we find it to be an expression of bringing in the harvest and the abundance of life.  Yet, I wonder if we might find other ways to fill the cornucopias of our lives.

Besides fall items/food that are warm oranges, brilliant yellows and browns that still seem to radiate life, perhaps we could start to think about people and experiences and events to fill our cornucopias.  Or, we could think about, besides food, what nourishes our growth?

For me, worship on Sundays nourishes my growth and stirs my souls.

My family nourishes my growth and fills my cornucopias.

Last Friday, I enjoyed the movie Free Birds with the kids.

These moments are not only what helps nourish me, they are also traces of God's grace.  These moments become ways I sense God's presence in my life.  

I invite you to continue to consider what is nourishing you and what blessings are flowing in your life right now.

And as you notice and name those moments, may you sense God's presence and a trace of God's grace.

Blessings ~  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Prayer sentence 4

  I invite you to breathe in and slowly exhale.   I invite you to rest in the promise that you don’t have to earn or deserve your way to God...