Thursday, July 15, 2021

Morning Hymns Part 4


 

Today I share a beautiful Spiritual, My Lord What a Morning.  Please slowly read these words as a way to pray this morning:

Refrain:
My Lord, what a morning,
My Lord, what a morning,
Oh, my Lord, what a morning
When the stars begin to fall,
When the stars begin to fall.

1 You will hear the trumpet sound
To wake the nations underground,
Looking to my God’s right hand
When the stars begin to fall. [Refrain]

2 You will hear the sinner cry
To wake the nations underground,
Looking to my God’s right hand
When the stars begin to fall. [Refrain]

3 You will hear the Christian shout
To wake the nations underground,
Looking to my God’s right hand
When the stars begin to fall. [Refrain]

I hear this Spiritual as a prayer of wonder and awe.  My Lord what a morning, that there is so much mystery and beautiful and grace.  I also hear this Spiritual with some exhaustion, where the emphasis can be almost sung exasperated, “My lord, what a morning.”  As in, what else can go south this week?  Which is the question no one ever wants an answer to.  Perhaps for you so far this week there have been moments of wonder and wandering; moments of elations and exasperation; moments of praise and pain.  There is space in this beautiful Spiritual this morning for all of you to find room to roam.

Read again with your heart wide open to God’s grace meeting you where you are and where God’s will might move you to go today. Please pray with me:

God who pauses and sits with me; who knows me fully; who loves me unconditionally and unceasingly, I offer all that is within me to You right now.  I pray You will meet me with a joy to feel fully alive; You will grant me strength for the struggles and storms; and that You will be there in the ordinariness of making lunch and going to the grocery store that is also on my “to-do” list.  God of this week, God of this day, God of every minute, continue to keep me open to You this morning.  Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Holy Foolishness

  Yesterday, I shared with you a poem entitled, “When in Doubt” by Sandra Cisneros.  Today, I want to share with you a favorite poem by Shel...