Friday, October 2, 2020

Open Hymnals Part 1

 


Sing Lustily – and with good courage. Beware of singing as if you were half-dead or half-asleep; but lift up your voice with strength. [And] Sing spiritually – have an eye to God in every word you sing.  Two of the seven directions for singing from John Wesley.

Music is one of the most powerful and profound ways to communicate.  Music has a way of evoking emotions and invoking the holy in ways that spoken words cannot.  Music is woven into our memories and helps us make meaning of life.  Music lingers and leaves an impression upon us.  I may not remember much about my ordination day 19 years ago, but I do recall we sang one of my favorite hymns, “Won’t you let me be your servant?”  Or I have a vivid memory of planning my mom’s memorial service and talking about how we had to sing a Christmas Carol because that was my mother’s favorite holiday. 

We know that one of the harshest and hardest realities of the pandemic is that we are not able to sing together.  I do believe, deep in my heart – to quote the spiritual “We Shall Overcome” – that if we could sing together right now, it would be like a balm in Gilead to heal our sin-sick souls.  I do believe, deep in my heart, that our lives flow on in endless song; sometimes the song is in a major key; other times a minor key; still other times just feel like banging on the piano keys!  God is both the composer and conductor of the symphony of creation.  I believe, deep in my heart, that to sing is to pray twice. 

This week, I want us to hold our hymnals close to our hearts.  I acknowledge and affirm this is difficult.  I grieve that are sanctuary walls are not being soaked each Sunday with the sound of your voice.  I grieve and miss the communal first breath of the opening hymn that tells us we are conspiring (which means to ‘breathe together) to glorify God.  I grieve the holy hymns that bring us a sense of unity in midst of diversity. 

Yet, I don’t want our hymnals to sit on the shelf collecting dust.  I do believe, deep in my heart, that we have an opportunity unlike anytime before to see our hymnal as a prayer book.  To read the words of the hymns.  To pick up the hymnal every day as a way to God is still singing and ministering to us in such a time as this.  I invite you to focus not only on beloved hymns that make you want to sing out with gusto…or sing lustily as Wesley advices and admonishes us to do.  But to dig deeper and dwell in the second, third and fourth verses of hymns. 

In fact, there is a hymn, “In Solitude” (#521 in the New Century Hymnal), that if you read the words, they are so profound and powerful.  The author, Ruth Duck, says that this hymn was, “An expression of her ‘deep-rooted southern spirituality’.”  In the second verse of this hymn she writes, “Whe-e’er the world is troubling me, and stress is all around, I seek the presence of my God, and healing light is found.”

Hold those words.  Breathe them in.  They are so beautiful. 

In the third verse, Duck writes, “In seasons of perplexity, in times of deep despair, I light a candle in the night and turn to God in prayer.”

Go get a candle, light it, say these words again for they are a prayer.

If you happen to have a hymnal handy at home, I encourage you to get it down.  I invite you in the coming weeks to read through hymns.  Slowly.  Savor each word, letting it sink deep into your soul. 

Image when we come back to worship and can sing, how much more we might be able to proclaim God’s presence because the words we sing will be written upon our hearts.  That to me sounds like a holy way to start each day.

Prayer: God who inspires and conspires with hymn-writers over the centuries, open our ears, hearts and whole lives to You as we pray our hymnals in these days.  Amen.

 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Bread Crumb Prayer

  Bread and wine and water, O God, You always seem to find the holiness in the ordinary.   Not us, O God, we like the special and spectacula...