Wednesday, September 18, 2019

Soul-scape - trees



I have stood beneath towering red wood trees in the west and next to snow-covered pine trees in the winter and raked maple leaves in the fall and witnessed the tiny buds of spring when the frost subsides and now see how the variations of green happen in the subtle shifts of seasons of Florida.

The trees have taught me more than I could say.

Redwoods taught me about my own smallness in life and when these trees have been around for over 500 years, suddenly saying, "This is taking forever," sounds rather shallow.

Snowy trees taught me how to shoulder some of the burdens of life that can weigh on us.

Raking leaves teaches patience as you no sooner get them in a pile than a breeze blows scattering them across the lawn again.

Noticing the shifts of green in Florida helps me know that traces of God's grace are not always neon lights flashing.  Often God moves in soft and tender ways we might miss.

The amazing part is once you start noticing what trees can teach and tell us...suddenly other parts of creation start to chime in with truths we need to hear as well.

When the grass tickles my toes and bring a smile to my face, I know what joy means.
When sand wraps around my feet softly cushioning each step as waves crash down nearby, I know what peace means.
When birds sing even as clouds congregate overhead, I know what hope means.
And when the warmth of sun baptizes my skin, I know what love means.

Creation continually calls out to us, but when we are disconnected from our surroundings, we are really disconnected from something deep within ourselves.

So, go, stand outside.  Listen to plops of rain that can nourish the earth and refresh the world around.
Go and stand beneath the shade of a tree and study the patterns of sunlight through the leaves.
Go and be in the early morning before the dawn as the stars give way to the sun.

Creation sings out the glory and traces of God's grace...may you and I listen and be absorbed by what is around us...awakening truths within us.

Blessings ~~




No comments:

Post a Comment

Bread Crumb Prayer

  Bread and wine and water, O God, You always seem to find the holiness in the ordinary.   Not us, O God, we like the special and spectacula...