Monday, September 2, 2019

Reflection on Work



On this Labor Day, I invite you to remember your first job.  Can you rewind and remember what you did or how excited you felt when you received your first official paycheck?  Or when you discovered that there is this thing called, "FICA" who decides to take some of the paycheck!

My first official job was in the dish room at a local restaurant.  More specially, I was assigned to pull the steaming hot plates and cups off the conveyor belt of the dishwasher.  I also got to scrub big pots and pans that had caked on food.  Eventually, though, my hard work paid off and I was promoted to mopping floors.  Looking back, it really seems like more of a lateral move. 

I can also remember my very first interview for a pastoral job, which went spectacularly awful.  It was textbook on what not to do ~ unless your goal was to not actually get the job.  I thought I had all the right answers to the questions. 

For example, what do you consider your weakest trait? 
Answer, I work too hard and I care too much. 

Or what is a good starting salary? 
Answer, I just love working for the Lord. 

What would be your favorite part of the job?
Answer, Um what would you like for my favorite part to be?

I failed and fell so flat on my face, I believe my nose has been forever changed. 

The work of our hands is important and is part of our identity. 
Work can bring meaning into our lives.
Sometimes we receive a paycheck for the work that gives us purpose and joy, sometimes we don't.

Work might be something we profit from in a way that will never add one dollar to our bank account.  Work might be that moment when our soul says, "Yes, this is why I was here."
Work can shift and change over the years.

What brings me the most joy right now, sometimes part of my job and sometimes is volunteer.

I pray on this Labor Day, you will prayerfully ponder an expansive definition of "work". 
I pray you might give thanks for places where you find a smile crossing your face and your soul say, "Yes".
I pray there will be more than a trace of grace in your life this day and week.

Blessings ~~

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tending Home

  As we explore Earth Week, honoring that from dust (earth/soil/mud) we are made and that we have a mixture of soil and star dust in our sou...