Thursday, September 7, 2017

Thursday


Thursday might be the most underrated day.
To be sure, it lives in the shadow of Friday.
Few people have ever uttered the phrase,
"Thank God it's Thursday."
And it has not special distinction like Wednesday.
Few people have ever uttered the phrase,
"It is the day after hump day."
Thursday doesn't have the dread of Monday
Or the getting back in the groove of life of Tuesday.
It certainly doesn't have the prestige and privilege of Saturday and Sunday.
It just is an ordinary day.
Maybe we could call it, "Friday Eve"...so it might have some of the mystery of Christmas Eve.
Maybe we could call it, "Four-fifths Day"...because to say you are 4/5th of the way through something makes it sound like you are practically there.
Maybe it isn't the name at all.
Maybe Thursday reminds us that ordinariness is just fine.
Just a normal day.  Not at the beginning or end or middle.
Somewhere just beyond but not yet.
Which is where I spend most of my life.
Somewhere beyond where I was...but not yet fully where I want to be.
Somewhere beyond anger and frustration at everything...yet knowing things don't fully reflect God's love.
Somewhere beyond expecting things to always be perfect...yet still wanting to do what I can, where I can.
I guess what I am saying is that if Thursday had an age, it would be 40s or 50s.
Far enough along, but not quite there.
Just barely beyond the halfway point.
Yes, I definitely think that Thursday is my new favorite day.

And may you find more than a trace of God's grace on this Thursday.

Grace and peace ~~

No comments:

Post a Comment

Prayer Sentence #3

  This week, we are letting one sentence prayers from Justin McRoberts and Scott Erikson interrupt and inspire our lives in this art project...