Wednesday, February 1, 2017

Beloved Brokenness Part Two


Now when all the people were baptized, and when Jesus also had been baptized and was praying, the heaven was opened, and the Holy Spirit descended upon him in bodily form like a dove. And a voice came from heaven, “You are my Son, the Beloved; with you I am well pleased.”

I love the above painting.  It is dynamic and has movement to it.  It is also heartbreaking because Jesus is already in the posture of the cross...arms extended and head hung low.  When we set a course of our life...point our toes to go a certain way...our choices matter and make a difference.  When I moved to Florida, it meant saying "No" to other people and places in my life.  For Jesus, baptism charts a course.  To be sure, in the journey of Jesus' life there are many exit ramps between the Jordan and Jerusalem on Palm Sunday.  In the journey of Jesus' life there are many moments he could have decided to go another way.

When you look back at your life, the script you have written, what moments have defined and distinguished and made the biggest difference?  What moments of blessedness?  What moments of brokenness?  Sometimes, for me, the biggest stumbles and bumbles...while in the moment have been so painful...after I processed the pain, I was able to see the lasting and lingering impact.

I encourage you this week...take a piece of paper and make a timeline.  Start with your birth on the left side and today is on the far right side.  In the middle - rather than just a straight linear line - mark the mountain top moments and valley times.  I can name my ordination as a mountain top moment, but times of frustration and struggle as I have tried to live out my call.  I can name the birth of my children at the top of the page...and times when I could not comfort them as difficult, rough times.  Up and down...twists and turns.  Yet, the baptism belovedness of God did not leave me when I am at the bottom of the page...that was when God helped to shine a light and help show me the way.

I pray this exercise might provide more than a trace of God's grace for you.

Blessings ~~

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tending Home

  As we explore Earth Week, honoring that from dust (earth/soil/mud) we are made and that we have a mixture of soil and star dust in our sou...