Saturday, January 28, 2017

Hymns Part Four

 Now there was a man in Jerusalem whose name was Simeon; this man was righteous and devout, looking forward to the consolation of Israel, and the Holy Spirit rested on him. It had been revealed to him by the Holy Spirit that he would not see death before he had seen the Lord’s Messiah.  Guided by the Spirit, Simeon came into the temple; and when the parents brought in the child Jesus, to do for him what was customary under the law,  Simeon took him in his arms and praised God, saying,
“Master, now you are dismissing your servant in peace, according to your word; for my eyes have seen your salvation, which you have prepared in the presence of all peoples, a light for revelation to the Gentiles and for glory to your people Israel.”

Jesus goes to the temple to be dedicated, a Jewish rite of celebration.  This moment is interrupted and disrupted by a stranger, who sees Jesus and the Spirit (there is that Spirit again moving in the midst of people) helps Simeon sense that the sacred is up to something.  Simeon sings out a song of praise and thanksgiving.  I sometimes get caught up in equating faith and feeling.  Am I in a good mood?  Only then I will sing a song of praise.  If I am upset or the news leaves me feeling hallow...well God...I'll get back to you.

Sometimes singing praise in a time of oppression is an acknowledgment that beauty is even found here and now.  Singing praise is also a moment of protest.  For Simeon to sing out that this tiny infant, eight days old, was the bringer of salvation was an a-front to Caesar, who recall claimed he was the only one to bring peace/salvation/wholeness to the world.

It isn't always easy to see salvation in our world today.  In fact, part of the Christian tradition tend to make us passive in this process.  Just wait until Jesus comes back...then everyone look busy.  It isn't always easy to see salvation in our world today when there is so many divisions and anger.  It isn't always easy to see salvation in our world today when fear...honest and heartfelt fear...are part of the daily life.  Shouldn't salvation mean that the whole world finally finds peace and harmony?  Is salvation something sudden or the slow dance of God's movement in our midst here and now?

But I want to point out a juxtaposition of this hymn...Simeon sings it in the temple and names that this tiny baby is for all people...Gentiles and Jews.  How often in our churches and religious spaces to we proclaim such an inclusive/extravagant space?  Unfortunately, more often than not, we tend to use our sacred spaces to protect our status and provide reassurance that we are right.  I am not sure if such a unifying song would be heard today?  I am not sure if our religious spaces, noting that 11 am is still one of the most segregated times in America on all sorts of levels, can really be a place where people of all stripes can find our voice to sing together.  I pray it can be.  And will do what I can to help and will start by joining Simeon in singing out that God's blessing and belovedness is not reserved only to members of the church I serve...but for people crafted in the image of God with whom I disagree.

I pray that I won't be singing a solo.

Grace and peace ~~

No comments:

Post a Comment

Prayer sentence 4

  I invite you to breathe in and slowly exhale.   I invite you to rest in the promise that you don’t have to earn or deserve your way to God...