Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Stage Set

Over the last several weeks, I have been searching for a new nativity set. Our current set is made of porcelain and is fragile. I really wanted one my kids could touch without sending my anxiety soaring that they might drop one of the pieces.

One of the reason why I think nativity sets are important is they invite us to stand in the straw. We see the scene and we are drawn into the stable to be part of the cast of characters witnessing the birth of Jesus. But most importantly, creche pieces are met to be held in our hands because the whole set proclaims the most basic, profound truth of Christmas: God comes into our lives, God moves into our neighborhood, God in flesh and bone.

Christmas is not some abstract idea about God. Rather, Christmas proclaims loud and clear that the living, breathing, laughing, crying, eating with outcasts, calling fishermen and women at the well to be disciples, story telling, bread breaking, trial facing, death conquering God comes into our life again as 2011 dwindles and 2012 dawns. That is what holding a porcelain shepherd or sheep or Mary or Joesph and especially a small baby Jesus means to me.

So, I started searching. When we were out shopping, I'd wander over to the Christmas display and usually there was one creche scene set up...but they just did not get for me.

So, I started searching the internet. And I found out that the first nativity scene was a living nativity done by St. Francis of Assisi in 1223. That will be a really cool fact if I am ever on Jeopardy! But did not really help my search.

So, I started looking on Amazon. I found a really interesting nativity set featuring ducks which reminds me that there are some strange things in this world.

So, I kept searching and even discovered that at one time in England people would make a mince pie and said that as the cradle of Christ. While I am not sure about the sacredness of a rubber duck nativity, I am okay with the sacredness of pie. But, atlas, the Puritans did away with this tradition calling it, "an idolatry of crust."

And we thought we had problems today.

My problem was still finding a creche scene I was comfortable letting my kids get close enough to so they could sense the good news of the Christmas story.

But then amid my searching, one night I watched as my daughter carefully handled each of the porcelain pieces, setting the scene with such grace. I watched my son not argue with her about the scene, but he watched peacefully.

Suddenly, I realized what I was really looking for...I had already found. Right there, without a new set or one of ducks or even one made of pie. While I was searching, my kids had already found the profound truth: God is with us in ways that stirs our hearts to act with care and kindness and love.

May serendipitous moments of God's grace be seen in your life this week as we continue to travel to the stable and manger where love's pure light shines forth and makes all the difference.

Grace and peace to you all this Advent season.

1 comment:

  1. There was no creche in my growing up and, therefore, has not been important in my adult life. But reading your post has changed all that! From now on, when I look at the little creche that Bill and I added several years ago, I will remember what you have written. Thank You!

    ReplyDelete

Prayer sentence 4

  I invite you to breathe in and slowly exhale.   I invite you to rest in the promise that you don’t have to earn or deserve your way to God...